Resources for Professional and Graduate Students
- Spectrum Center Financial Grants There are three grants available for students to apply for.
- 2020 - 2021 Graduate and Professional Student Resource Slides
Resources for Professional and Graduate Students
- Rackham Funding provides many sources of financial assistance to help students meet educational and living expenses.
- Rackham Emergency Funding is intended to help meet the financial needs of Rackham graduate students who encounter an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expenses during their degree program.
- Rackham Graduate Student Welcome provides newly admitted graduate students the opportunity to learn about Rackham and connect with resources that will enhance your experience at the University of Michigan.
- Rackham 101 Workshops Are you a new graduate student? Or are you an experienced graduate student, but you've never connected to resources for graduate students outside of your home department? These workshops provide an overview of how Rackham can support you.
- Past Rackham 101 Workshop Recordings These recordings are available for students who were not able to attend the workshops at their intended time and date.
- Rackham Resolution Office provides information -- on matters related to emergencies, crisis situations, disputes, and student conduct violations -- about Rackham Graduate School and university policies and procedures, makes referrals, and offers resources when appropriate.
LGBTQ+ Graduate and Professional Student Organizations
The organizations below are meant to bring together LGBTQ+ graduate, professional, and/or post-doc students, mostly based on field or school. For a list of all LGBTQ+ student organizations (there's 20!) click here!
Alliance for Inclusion
Alliance for Inclusion, housed in the Dental School, aims to educate dental students, staff, faculty, and dental professionals about lesbian, bisexual, gay, and transgender issues in hopes of encouraging awareness, as well as providing perspectives in treating LGBT patients. The organization hopes to foster a welcoming environment for LGBT students, staff, faculty, and patients at the Dental School.
GoSTEM: Graduates Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
Networking, professional development, social activities and activism opportunities for graduate LGBT students in the STEM community. We're an organization dedicated to building a community for LGBTQ students in STEM fields and providing them with resources on navigating their identities in a professional setting.
Out for Business - MBA
Ross School of Business
Out for Business builds community among the LGBTQ+ students at the Stephen M. Ross School of Business and raises awareness among Ross faculty, staff and students of the issues facing LGBT individuals in society. OFB has a chapter for graduate students and a chapter for undergraduate students.
Outlaws is a student group at Michigan Law that advocates for the inclusion of LGBTQIA+ perspectives within the law school, and works with allies within the school and beyond to end discrimination in all its forms. We sponsor numerous educational and social events throughout the year, keep the law school community informed on legal issues affecting LGBTQIA+ rights, and raise the visibility of LGBTQIA+ people within the legal profession. Outlaws pursues its educational efforts in solidarity with other student organizations. Outlaws also provides a dynamic social space for members of the LGBTQIA+ community at the law school.
OutMD seeks to create a safe space for LGBTQ identified persons and Allies within the medical school and bring awareness to the disparities LGBTQ identified persons face in the health care setting as both patients and providers. We support these aims by hosting regular meetings, organizing lectures and panels, and sponsoring students to attend conferences related to LGBTQ health disparities. For the school, our activities will create an inclusive atmosphere and provide important knowledge for future physicians when caring for this population.
LSA Department of Psychology
Psych OUT at The University of Michigan was founded in 2016 by a group of graduate students who were interested in creating an inclusive space for queer graduate students in The Department of Psychology. Our mission is to create and foster a community for LGBTQ+ individuals in the department and foster a community of academics that promote queer scholarship in our sub-fields and across campus.
Queer Advocacy Coalition
School of Social Work
Through community volunteerism, programming, and partnership with other LGBTQIA+ organizations on campus and within the community, our mission is to engage in advocacy work and educational opportunities and a sense of community and visibility for the University of Michigan graduate and professional-level social work students.
Ways to Stay Up-to-Date
Utilize the “LGBTQ+ Graduate Student” tag on Happening @ Michigan to filter events specifically for LGBTQ+ graduate, professional, and post-doc students. Spectrum Center used this tag to reference graduate-specific events as well as events that are graduate-friendly.