The Spectrum Center is committed to enriching the campus experience and developing students as individuals and members of communities using sexual orientation and gender identity and expression as our framework. Our work is accomplished through a student-centered intersectional lens. An investment in the Spectrum Center can help us succeed in our vision of creating an inclusive campus, free of discrimination and where social justice inspires community engagement and equity. You can learn more in this Giving Brochure.
Why Give to the Spectrum Center?
Annual Gifts are imperative because funds raised through Annual Giving can be used to meet the immediate needs of the Spectrum Center.
Why does U-M need my support EVERY year?
While endowment funds are earmarked both in how they can be used and when, Annual Gifts are funds that the Spectrum Center can use immediately and where needed most. Each academic year, the University faces unexpected challenges. Annual Gifts from donors like you are vital to ensure our ability to overcome obstacles and live out the Michigan difference.
Your gift to the Spectrum Center supports:
- Education: Training 259 allies on campus and in the community and hosting speakers panels which reached 2000+ participants through 31 classes, units, and organizations in the past year.
- Collaborative Learning: Connecting University students with LGBTQ teens through a mentorship program at Ann Arbor’s teen center. University students can also support one another in navigating the coming-out process through a peer-led support group and one-on-one mentorship.
- Community Engagement: Reaching out and including diverse communities in our efforts. In addition, we coordinate on programs that include events around National Coming Out Week, Transgender Awareness Week, Graduation, and more.
- Leadership and Professional Development: Giving students the opportunity to gain experience working in higher education and organizing for LGBT causes. Our focus is on connecting students with financial need to leadership opportunities throughout campus.
How does U-M solicit for gifts?
Alumni and friends are contacted via mail, email, and Telefund, U-M’s student telephone fundraising program. Michigan is a big place, so you may be contacted by the general Annual Giving office or by someone at a school, college, or unit on campus. As a whole, we strive to make giving to the University and allocating your gift to the area you wish as simple as possible. So when you are contacted remember you can support student life no matter who reaches out to you.
There are many ways you can give to the Spectrum Center:
- Annual Giving: A fund that is put to use where most needed within a fiscal year.
- Outright Gifts: Gifts of cash, securities or “gifts in kind” make an immediate impact. Gifts in kind include artwork, books and equipment that may be useful to the Spectrum Center.
- Planned Giving: A giving strategy that allows you to make a meaningful charitable contribution while possibly enhancing you and your family’s future financial well-being.
- Bequests: One of the simplest ways to give, you can leave a gift from your estate within your will.
We would be happy to talk about any of these options with you.
How to Make Your Gift
We have provided information on how you can make your gift below. In addition, please feel free to call us anytime if you need assistance.
- Online Giving: Use our simple and secure online form to make a gift right now using your credit card.
- Gifts in Kind: Find out how to give by mail, transfer or payroll deduction. Discover the advantages of gifts of securities and the opportunity for gifts in kind.
- Matching Gifts: Take an extra moment to see whether your employer will leverage your giving with a matching contribution.
We’re here for you!
We’re passionate about connecting donors with Michigan. We welcome questions about Annual Giving and hearing from you about your reason for participating. If there’s something specific you’d like to support and you don’t see it on our communications, please contact us. We’ll help you get your donation to the right place.
To speak to us about giving opportunities please contact:
Support Staff Student Life Office of Development
Student Life Office of Development
Student Life – Office of Development
9027 Wolverine Tower
3003 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1288
Phone: (734) 647-7309
Fax: (734) 647-6100